Joel's recently blogged regarding wikifying question on several recurring topics where users keep asking new versions of the same problem.
Some of these are:
- anti-virus software and cleaning them up,
- solving boot problems, (<--- This has answers for BIOS phase and Windows. Anyone want to do linux and osx?)
- freezing computers,
- troubleshooting hardware,
- benchmarking hardware,
- backup software,
- finding drivers,
Many topics would benefit from having a great up-to-date source of information, a Community Wiki. If a user tried most of those steps and still is having problems, then there might be something new going on.
This isn't a goal to create one "perfect" mega-answer, that we can use to close all the others as dupes, but rather to have a more general guide for users to follow and catch all the lowest hanging fruit.
The purpose of this question is:
- to keep track of the progress,
- to get suggestions for topics that could use such a question,
- to manage some 'meta-ish' discussion, so we don't abuse the comments on the wiki questions,
- requests from users for including certain information or sharing useful information to include