In conjunction with the Super User blog, we will be getting three SSD's from Kingston. We want to perform tests on these drives and blog about the results, and need your help. What testing, comparisons, or how to guides, would you as a Super User like to see related to SSD technology?
The SSD's have come in and I have a total of 3 128GB drives. Here is the tentative plan for them:
Test speed differences between a single SSD and a RAID 0 array:
- File transfer from single drive to RAID 0 array and back
- File transfer from single drive or RAID 0 array to a regular HDD 7200 rpm
- File copy onto same disk
- In all of these tests I'll be testing three different file sizes (small, medium, large, x-large: 4kb or smaller, ~12MB, ~2GB, and ~10GB)
Test Speed differences between a regualr HDD, Hybrid HDD and a single SSD (clone a current copy of laptop HDD to Hybrid and SSD)
- Boot Up times - Boot and measure difference in time (at least 5 boots each)
- Application startup - Measure how long it takes for an app to start
- File creation - a "copy" will be made onto the drive and tested for speed [In all of these tests I'll be testing three different file sizes [(small, medium, large, x-large: 4kb or smaller, ~12MB, ~2GB, and ~10GB)]
Let me know if this is good and/or if there are any other changes that you see should be done. I will be proceeding within a couple of weeks.