Here are some general rules that should be followed.
Follow this general outline:
- Title the product with a link to the download/main page
- Quote the site's product summary
- Add any pictures that are relevant to the question
- If it's not installed using a normal installation file, or package manager, then give instructions on how to install.
- Depending on the question, also give a brief overview of HOW to use the product OR in cases where it's too long, link to the product's manual pages.
- Give any other personalized information to the OP regarding how the recommendation solves his/her question.
Things NOT to DO:
- Post only a link to the site
- Recommend software that you haven't used personally (there MAY be rare occasions where this is valid, BUT you must let the OP know this)
- Answer questions that are simply asking "What's the best XX software" or "I need something that does XX"
An example answer should look like this:
I believe that NotePad++ should be able to do the things that you're looking for. Here's an overview from their own site:
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer")
source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several
languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed
by GPL License.
It has the following relevant features:
Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding
PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
Multi-Document (Tab interface)
Zoom in and zoom out
Multi-Language environment supported
Macro recording and playback
It has great documentation, and support on the SourceForge forums. It's also compatible with a large amount of languages. I personally use it on an everyday basis