I follow the
jenkins tag on all SE sites. I've noticed that SU attracts an oddly large amount of Jenkins questions that receive basically no attention. These questions have some problems:
- These questions are not on topic according to the help center. Specifically, Jenkins questions typically violate the rules that disallow questions about "programming and software development" (Jenkins is primarily a software development tool) and "issues specific to corporate IT support and networks" (Jenkins is typically used in a corporate CI/CD environment).
- These questions have low rates of upvotes. There are 320 questions with the Jenkins tag on SU, of which only about 100 have received any upvotes.
- These questions have low answer rates. Only about 1/3rd of Jenkins questions on SU have at least one upvoted or accepted answer, and I believe fewer than half have any answers at all.
- Most of the questions in the Jenkins tag seem to be asked by brand new SU users. That's a bit of a guess on my end as I don't have access to such metrics; this is just my experience based on following the Jenkins tag.
In summary, my experience with the Jenkins tag on SU is well-described by the following screenshot:
In my personal opinion, as someone who has answered Jenkins questions on many different SE network sites, this is a problem because it means many people asking for Jenkins help on SU aren't receiving any help at all.
Also in my opinion, Jenkins questions in general are more appropriate for either Stack Overflow (there are 37,000 questions in the Jenkins tag there, the majority of which have at least one upvoted or accepted answer) or DevOps (422 questions in the Jenkins tag, of which over 2/3rds have at least one upvoted or accepted answer). Technically, Jenkins questions are also on-topic for Unix & Linux, but in my experience, there are very few Jenkins experts on that site, so Jenkins questions there tend to receive little attention. Sometimes there are also Jenkins questions on Server Fault, but IMO that site has a similar problem to SU with regards to the Jenkins tag.
So what should we do about these questions? Some thoughts:
- Flag each question for migration as it comes up. This is very tedious and cumbersome considering the considerable number of Jenkins questions already on the site, and it's not a particularly scalable or sustainable solution if more Jenkins questions keep rolling in.
- Have a moderator mass-migrate questions. Not sure if this is desirable as it might mean the occasional Jenkins question that is appropriate for SU (IMO these are rather rare) would get moved. Also this wouldn't address new questions in the future.
- Blacklist the Jenkins tag. Not sure if this is technically possible (I'm not terribly active on the SE network so I don't know all the tools available to moderators).
- Do nothing. Accept that the status quo is fine.