My question, "SSL error 14090086 "certificate verify failed" in browser and in curl: how to troubleshoot? [closed]" was closed as "opinion based".
Would anyone be willing to explain in a little more detail what and who determined that it's "opinion based"? (The supplied "opinion-based" KB article isn't really explaining much.) E.g.:
- Do people who take such action have to explain or document why they're taking it?
- Is there a precedent or a process for determining the threshold between opinions and facts? (Any fact including 2+2=4 can technically be construed as "opinion" because even basic arithmetics is based on assumptions and abstractions - which are technically "opinions" and not facts.)
- How do I appeal what I believe is an incorrect closing?
In my specific case, the question was "what steps would you take troubleshooting SSL cert errors in a specific situation?", and while there certainly could be opinions on how to go about it, fact-based answers (not opinions) are invited:
- What are the possible root causes?
- What are the steps to confirm or rule out each one?
... with the above two steps being the basis of any diagnostic fact-based process.
See also this: Inappropriate opinion-based closings