In an effort to provide a comprehensive answer rooted in addressing the underlying cause, I searched SU meta's search, attempting to locate an established canonical response that succinctly addresses such inquiries in which I was unsuccessful.
The essence of the matter
The existing review queue audit is flawed and requires updating; fortunately, encountering failures is generally manageable, and proactive strategies exist to identify and address flaws effectively.
I'm seeking a thorough and canonical response that covers these aspects as well as any additional considerations contributors may suggest. This response will serve as a reference for all related inquiries, streamlining discussions about questions like "I answered review questions honestly and failed audit; should X really be Y?" so that we can avoid revisiting the same issues repeatedly.
Note: I've posted relevant questions, as have numerous others, and even "current" moderators have historically raised similar issues here. Below are some examples with links for reference.
- Bad audit question - failed audit on question that should have been closed
- Why is offensive content added to review "trick" questions?
- Review Audit Test failed - Why
- Disagreeing with a failed review audit
- Audit failed, why is this not opinion based?
- Review Test error
- Is this a review bug to the dreaded test questions
- Design flaw in the review audit system
- Can the review system be fixed?
- Review audit - dissagreement