I'm trying to ascertain whether or not questions about IP phones (in my case, Cisco) are on-topic or off-topic for SuperUser. I read this question, which basically says:
If its problems using phones or devices themselves, then the only possibility is the electronic gadgets site. If your question is about interfacing it with a computer (sync, data transfer, etc), then you can ask it on Super User, but this is the only case.
If its problems getting USB hardware to work with a computer, SF is a good bet, but again, device specific forums are probably your best bet. Exception being getting data from a device, such as GPS, into a computer program, SO is the best place to try.
However, the Electronics StackExchange FAQ says:
and it is not about
- electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones, except insofar as designing or hacking their electronic for other use
So I'm fairly confused. If I had a question about configuring or using my Cisco IP phone (just an example in this case), would it be on-topic on SuperUser (as the phone interfaces with the network and with a TFTP server to retrieve its configuration)? Would it be off-topic on Electronics? Is there another StackExchange site where I can ask these questions?
- How can I configure the directory of names?
- How would one write a service for this phone?
- Can SIP and SCCP be used at the same time on phone xyz?
- What file extensions should my configuration files have for firmware xyz?