Both and refer to the exact same thing and thus should be merged.

  • This issue isn't that easy to solve. One common meaning, if you've looked at the questions, is tab character ASCII 0x09, the other is the tab user interface element.
    – Daniel Beck Mod
    Commented Dec 18, 2011 at 17:02
  • This question refers to the tab GUI element. And so does this. Thus, for the ASCII character, in my opinion, the tag should be character-tab, or something similar.
    – Alex
    Commented Dec 18, 2011 at 17:10
  • Some of the question even use it for the Tab key, which is different thing. As I said, it's just not that easy as ignoring the problem and merging two tags.
    – Daniel Beck Mod
    Commented Dec 18, 2011 at 17:12
  • 2
    I think, if we act on these tags, we should do it right. Clear up the ambiguity, so the tags we provide will actually have real meaning. Right now, they don't. Not really.
    – Daniel Beck Mod
    Commented Dec 18, 2011 at 17:19
  • @DanielBeck I agree.
    – Alex
    Commented Dec 18, 2011 at 17:29

1 Answer 1


There are three different uses I can think of:

  • Tab key
  • Tab character
  • Tab UI element

While the Tab key usually generates the tab character, they should still be treated separately. If you're asking how to make the tab key insert a tab character, you're probably doing something wrong or need to read a vi tutorial.

I suggest we do the following instead of simply merging:

  • Search the tab character and tab key uses of tab and tabs, and retag them to tab-key and tab-character (or tabulator-key, if that's common in English? I'm not sure whether it helps or detracts...)
  • Create a new tag tabbed-interface (or tabbed-ui / tab-ui?) and make both tab and tabs synonyms.
  • Create tag wikis for these tags, clearly describing what each tag is for, maybe (not in the excerpt, but the actual wiki) linking to the other, similar but unrelated tags.

The reasons:

  • The 3rd meaning is the most common, i.e. tabbed interface. Therefore this is the target of the synonyms tab and tabs.
  • All tags start with tab, so users who type this will be presented all of these as options. tab and tabs will not be presented, as they're synonyms, so users will get the choice of three distinct options.
  • +1, though you have my vote against tabulator-key (quite uncommon to me) and tab-ui (programming term). Commented Dec 19, 2011 at 1:04
  • @tom what's your suggestion for the name of the tabbed interface tag?
    – Daniel Beck Mod
    Commented Dec 19, 2011 at 5:12
  • tabbed-interface is very layman which is why I would prefer it. Dunno if the term UI is really commonly known by everybody, as it is still an industrial term... Commented Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56
  • Makes sense. I also prefer tabbed-interface.
    – Daniel Beck Mod
    Commented Dec 19, 2011 at 10:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .