Here are some general rules that should be followed.
Follow this general outline:
BOLD items are required.
- Title of the product with a link to the download/main page.
- Quote the site's product summary.
- Add any pictures that are relevant to the question.
- If it's not installed using a normal installation file, or package manager, then give instructions on how to install.
- Give a brief overview of HOW to use the product OR in cases where it's too long, link to the product's manual pages.
- Give any personalized information to the OP regarding how the recommendation solves his/her question.
- Specify any system requirements, e.g. Only works on Windows, Linux, OSX, or bootable media.
Things NOT to DO:
- Post only a link to the site.
- Recommend software that you haven't used personally (there MAY be rare occasions where this is valid, but you MUST let the OP know this).
- Answer questions that are simply asking "What's the best XX software" or "I need something that does XX."
An example answer should look like this:
I believe that Notepad++ should be able to do the things that you're looking for. Here's an overview from their own site:
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer")
source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several
languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed
by GPL License.
It has the following relevant features:
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding
- PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
- Document Map
- Multi-Document (Tab interface)
- WYSIWYG (Printing)
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Macro recording and playback
It has great documentation, and support on the SourceForge forums. It's also compatible with a large number of languages. I personally use it on a daily basis.
P.S. If you are affiliated with the product you are recommending, you must disclose your affiliation in your answer. Answers that seem like unsolicited advertisements will be flagged as spam and deleted, and could possibly cause you to lose 100 reputation. Our advertising rates are reasonable; contact our ad sales team for more information. We also offer free community promotion ads in which you can post a product you like (but are not affiliated with), have it promoted by the community through voting, and have it featured on the main site with enough promotion. For more information, look for the latest meta post tagged community-ads.