We don't like company-only tags, and there's been various crusades in the past to purge them:
- Can we get rid of the company tags?
- Company tag necromancy: The zombie apocalypse!
- What should the [microsoft] tag be used for?
- Lotus tag cleanup
- Retagging [microsoft] questions
- Retagging [google] questions
- Retagging [firefox] [mozilla] questions?
Unlike a specific product, a company does not represent an area of expertise. Someone could be an expert in one product, but have no idea about another. microsoft is a prime example of this, with Office, OS, Apps, Phone and other software & hardware to cover, it's likely an expert in one does not necessarily make them an expert in other areas.
Is this something that we consider a problem? If so, break out the pitchforks!
- In some cases, the questions should be retagged to more specific product tags
- In others, the tag should simply be removed outright.
There are more than the few I've listed below, so feel free to add them as you find them.
Note: Please occasionally re-check this list to see if any tags were recreated, and if so, move the tag to the "Found" list above.
2wire adobe acronis adaptec alienware amazon amd apc aptana atheros ati atlassian belkin brother buffalo canon checkpoint cisco compaq dell dlink easeus edimax fujitsu fujitsu-siemens genius gigabyte htc huawei linksys ibm iogear iomega kodak konica lenovo lexmark lg logitech lotus matrox mcafee motorola mozilla msi netgear nokia novell oki oracle panasonic razer realtek samsung sony sony-ericsson sun synaptics toshiba tp-link via western-digital xerox yahoo zebra zyxel
These tags were cleaned up then renamed or merged to the primary topic area:
- apache → apache-http-server (Meta: Is there a method to rename a tag without editing the questions?
- redhat → redhat-enterprise-linux (Meta: Synonomize Red Hat tags)
Due to persistent recreation, the following tags have been protected against recreation: