Recently there's been some contention regarding whether or not android questions are on-topic. Actually, It seems this topic has come up a lot in the past.
As we're on a bit of a tag-cleaning bender, perhaps it's time we removed the android tag entirely. Burn it. Completely. Gone. Maybe even blacklist it. This should help slow the influx of off-topic Android questions in the future.
But what about the questions asked in the past, or questions which are on topic? Well, for starters lets take a look at the off-topic reason:
and it is not about …
- electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones, except insofar as they interface with your computer
On-topic help page
Emphasis mine. I Bold this point because it emphasises how these questions should be tagged:
- If a question is asking how to interface with a computer, then tag it with the OS and any relevant interfacing technology tag (like terminals, SSH/RDP clients etc) and remove android from them.
- If a question is asking an off-topic question, but it would fit/be on topic at Android.SE*, flag it for attention.
- If Super User or Android.SE mods disagree with the migration, delete it.
* Use some discretion when flagging for migration. If a question is just terrible, flag for removal, or cast a delete vote if you have the permissions to do so. Also make sure to check Android.SE's on/off topic list!
Android-OSor something along those lines indicating the operating system itself instead of the devices or is that thinking expanding the rabbit hole that is Android devices? All I know is the majority of the questions I see, tagged as Android, are questions I would expect on a Android SE website.. Very few are about trying to communicate that device with a computer except the few questions about the drivers required to do so.