Yesterday, for the second time in the past three months, I answered a question, only to get a response from the OP saying, in effect,
This answer was correct when you posted it. I’ve changed the question since then; so your answer is now wrong. Please answer my edited question.
What is the appropriate reaction to this situation?
- Roll over and …
- just ignore the question and the OP (“You’re dead to me.”), or
- answer the edited question,
- Tell the OP that it’s poor form / bad etiquette / against the rules
to change a question so drastically as to invalidate answers that were correct
when posted (citing what reference?), and encourage / request the OP to …
- partially rollback the question, so it shows a Part I and Part II, or
- fully rollback the question, and ask a new question, or
- edit the question myself (doing one of the above)?
P.S. In the more recent case, the OP accepted my answer and then unaccepted it (even though no new answer(s) had been added).