In November 2020, Microsoft released .NET 5.0 and the "Core" branding was removed.
Alas, 2011's Merge some .NET tags request messed up present times by doing the opposite - removing the word "framework" from what is now only .net framework (which is a different product than .net, as .net is its successor while .net framework is not expected to ever get a new version).
So please consider to:
- Release .net from being a synonyms to .net-framework
- Then rename .net-core to just .net
- Release dotnet from being a synonyms to .net-framework
- Then make dotnet a synonyms to .net
- Release .net-framework-3.5 from being a synonyms to .net-3.5
- Then rename .net-3.5 to .net-framework-3.5
- Rename .net-4.0 to .net-framework-4.0
- Rename .net-4.5 to .net-framework-4.5
- Rename .net-2.0 to .net-framework-2.0