They're all identical and refer to Web crawler:

Other terms for Web crawlers are ants, automatic indexers, bots, Web spiders, Web robots, or—especially in the FOAF community—Web scutters.

I think that , and should be merged into .
Can we merge and synonymize them?

  • I agree, they all seem to be synonyms. Dec 22, 2012 at 16:21
  • My only very slight doubt would be if there is a difference in usage - 'my site is crawled' vs 'I send out a spider' (for example).
    – DaveP
    Dec 29, 2012 at 17:09

1 Answer 1


I merged all of these. "Spider" didn't seem to have a different meaning, and in fact, most of the web crawling quesiton were tagged with "spider" anyway.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .