I asked this question: Automatically reclaim my IRC nickname (without underscores) globally?
Without any comments it was "closed as off topic". I don't understand why. The box informing me about the close says:
Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined in the FAQ.
Does my question "relate to computer software"? Check. There is even a tag for that program.
So let's look at the "scope" defined in the FAQ: as already checked, my question is about computer software. Now let's see what not to post:
- "videogames or consoles"? Nope, it's about an IRC client.
- "websites or web services"? Nope, it's a program to be installed locally.
- "electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones"? Nope, it's software, not hardware.
- "issues specific to corporate IT support and networks"? Nope, no corp.
- "a shopping or buying recommendation"? Nope, I already use this program (and it's Free Software)
Also I think my question is "practical, answerable" and "reasonably scoped".
The box also reads:
Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope.
I would love to edit my question "for improvement", but how if there is no explanation why it is considered to be off topic at all?