Over the years, I have both contacted and been contacted by a few companies to perform reviews of their products on the Super User Blog with some success. Now that the blog is a bit more veteran (albeit a bit understaffed) we are producing consistent high quality blog posts some of which include these product reviews.
I was wondering what Stack Exchange would think about us actively pursuing partnerships/sponsorships with outside companies related to Super User. I'm thinking that we could establish something similar to what Stack Overflow currently has with Microsoft, but with companies that distribute PC hardware/software, Microsoft included.
The relationship, in my eyes, would be something along these lines:
- We identify a few companies that share the same interest as Super Users and contact them requesting a partnership
- We review their products, that they would provide and then give them away to the community
- Maybe we could even plug in an ad or two in the ad box as the same time?
Some advantages of teaming up with other companies would be:
- Incentive for more users to blog with us
- Publicity for the Super User Blog, Super User and the partnered company
- Depending on the partnership/sponsorship, we might be able to do a few more contests/giveaways during the year (similar to Apptivate.MS)
What does the community and Stack Exchange employees feel about this?